Monday, November 17, 2008

In Defense of Thanksgiving

I haven’t pontificated on my blog for a while now, been busy with things. Not sulking over election, promise. Just waiting for everything to get all better. *smile*

So, picking a topic, let’s go to how Thanksgiving seems to be the forgotten holiday. Well, not forgotten completely. We’re not going to forget to take the day off work and stuff our faces. But, more like bowled over. Jeeze, how pushy can the hurry of Christmas get?

Perhaps it isn’t like this in warmer climes, but up here in Ohio, many, take advantage of Indian Summer to put up their Christmas decorations. So, what we have in early November are houses at holiday war. One side will have a house with bright pumpkins and cornstalks on multi-colored, leaf strewn lawns while the other is bedecked with gigantic red and green balls, crimson bows, white wire deer and dazzling strings of lights. I have a hard enough time remembering what month it is without all this decoration confusion.

Christmas commercials begin directly after Halloween. Poor Thanksgiving doesn’t stand a chance. I mean how can it stand up to the advertising budgets of commercial America?

I think what really bugs me is a color things. I’m not done with the fall colors yet. It’s too early to usher in deep greens and reds in a backdrop of white. I love those colors, I love Christmas, but Autumn isn’t over yet! I’m not ready to let go of the oranges, rusty reds and multi-shades of tan. And looking from one to another messes with my equilibrium. Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

So, I’m stubbornly keeping my pumpkins and leaf garlands in the yard even though across the street holiday lights are blazing. Even if we have to hang Christmas lights in the finger numbing cold, not a string will be hung before Thanksgiving is over!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah!

I have been emailing back and forth with my cousin's daughter today. Is that a second cousin or first cousin once removed, I never can get it straight. I was telling her how into I have been about Thanksgivings of my youth. And of course many of them included her Mom and grandparents. I even remember one of her aunts being married on Thanksgiving.


It just hit me that when my kids and their kids get to be my age will they have memories that bring them such nostalgia and joy. I sure do hope so to some degree at least.