Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thanks-Giving

Since I was so whiney the other day, it seems only fitting to post the Sunday before the day a tribute to Thanks – Giving.

I have been blessed in so many ways. I had the warmth and security of a home in my formative years and still have the same home to return to. I had and still have parents who love me and siblings who would admit they loved me if left on the rack long enough. My family was never rich, but my working class dad provided more than adequately for us and all three of us children graduated college with the minimum of a Bachelors degree. Mom cooked, shopped, cleaned and did laundry and rarely complained. She still does. I’m twenty-five years younger and sick to death of it. Not sure how she did it all those years. Our house was filled with laughter and music. Not a bad way to grow up.

In my own home, we’ve not been blessed with riches, but in many ways that is a blessing in itself. We are not slaves to jobs or things. There is great freedom in that. Freedom to appreciate the best things in life. A baby’s belly laugh. Inside jokes that make my daughter laugh so hard she snorts. Snow on the nose of a Labrador. The warmth of a thick afghan. Scents of apple pies, oatmeal bread, chocolate chip cookies. Kisses on the cheek from my ten-year-old boy and strong hugs from my college one. My daughter’s inverted wordings that send us into spasms. A cat curled in your lap as you read a good book.

I have been blessed with church family all my life. People who can drive me crazy, but are loyal and true. Like St. Bernards without the brandy or slobber.

I am blessed to have been born into a country where there are freedoms and opportunities denied so many.

And, I am blessed to be living on this beautiful planet with its rich colors, vibrant breezes, stunning landscapes and ever-changing wonder.

And that Charlie Brown is that Thanks-Giving is all about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just reading through ... Good stuff, Laurie.

Good jub with this year's Madrigal, too.

Ross